Today is my friend’s birthday and he is training to be a doctor, he has his finals very soon. I still want to keep going with the positive statements on birthday cards, and I thought I would go with a punny one today – he will be a doctor, so why not have some anatomically correct hearts?
I started this card by stamping the ‘Hot Doctor’ from Kenny K in Memento Tuxedo Black ink (I got this from Whimsy Stamps, but Kenny K designs are no longer available as rubber stamps and can be purchased as digi stamps here). I coloured it with Spectrum Noir pens: clothes – DR5, DR6, IG1, IG2, BG2, TB8 and TB9. Skin – FS2, FS3, FS5, CR2 and PP2. Hair and shoes – GB8, TN7, EB4 and EB6. I used my silver pentel pen to add a few touches like her clipboard and necklace.
I cut the image out, then went around the edges with black pen so there weren’t white bits around the edge. I wanted the image to be prominant on the finished card, so I put some Sellotape Sticky Fixer Strip on the back of the image and set it aside whilst I got on with the rest of the card.
Next, I started on the base of the card. I knew I wanted to stick with the red and blue, so as not to have too many colours. I cut a blue panel to 5.5 in x 5.5 in, then a white panel to 5.1 in x 5.1 in. I adhered them to a white card blank with roll-on glue. I cut another blue panel to 4.9 in x 4.9 in which I was going to cut the apeture into for the shaker element, when I placed the ‘Hot Doctor’ cut-out on top I realised I would have to offest it to fit everything on!! I used the largest of my Spellbinders ‘Standard Circles Small’ dies to cut the appeture. Then I lined up the apeture over the white panel and drew around the die in the right place on the white panel. I used Sellotape ‘Sticky Fixer Strip’ to go around the circle outline and create the window in which all the shaker elements would sit. I used Hi-Tack glue to attach some acetate behind the blue card with the apeture, then set this aside to dry.
I found an image of an anatomically correct heart online, and when I went to print it out I found I had no ink in my printer, so instead I went the long-winded way about it and got some paper, traced around the desing on my computer screen in pencil, stuck these outlines onto white card, coloured them in with DR5 pen, went over the outlines again with PITT artists pens, cut them out and went over the cut edges with black pen.
I added the hearts and some red Rocailles to the apeture, then removed the backing from the Sticky Fixer strips and stuck the blue panel over the top.
All I needed now was the sentiment, and it’s always a bit of a joke about Doctor’s handwriting so I wanted to use a ‘handwritten’ looking sentiment. As I said my printer has no ink, so I went to my stamps and pulled out my ‘Frumptious’ clear alphabet stamps (part of the Roald Dahl collection). Unfortunately I don’t think they liked my Stampin’UP! ‘Midnight Muse’ ink pad much because they came out a bit blotchy, but I’ll just gloss over that and say “It was the look I was aiming for!”
I die cut the word ‘hearts’ from Cherry Cobbler card using my Crafter’s Companion ‘Contemporay Lowercase alphabet’ dies. The letters were attached to the card base with Hi-Tack glue so they would stick to the acetate.
Last, but not least I peeled off the backing from the pads on the back of the ‘hot doctor’ and adhered her to the card front.
I hope you liked this card, and found some inspiration! Enjoy your weekend!